Saturday, May 18, 2019

Glorious Weakness: Discovering God in All We Lack - by Alia Joy

Cover Art

About the book:

As a girl, Alia Joy came face-to-face with weakness, poverty, and loss in ways that made her doubt God was good. There were times when she felt as if God had abandoned her. What she didn't realize then was that God was always there, calling her to abandon herself.

In this deeply personal exploration of what it means to be "poor in spirit," Joy challenges us to embrace true vulnerability and authenticity with God and with one another, showing how weakness does not disqualify us from inclusion in the kingdom of God--instead, it is our very invitation to enter in.

My review:

This book really made an impact on me.  Alia Joy made some great points about how we view our weaknesses and the weaknesses of others.  We need to see others the way God sees them and love them, even if it's uncomfortable.  I resonated with her struggle over her calling, feeling like she should do more or have a different life than the one she has.  I could relate to some of her struggles as I am dealing with some health issues, too, but she has so much more to contend with between her health issues and her bipolar disorder, not to mention what she's gone through already in her life.  I really felt for her as I read her story.  Her belief that God is good even amidst all of her struggles, was inspiring, and something I struggle with, as I'm sure many people do.  We need to cling to hope and remember that God is good, no matter what.  She had a way of writing that was very poetic and lyrical but also hard-hitting.  More than once tears came to my eyes as I thought, "me, too.  I have felt that way, too."  I would recommend this book if you're struggling with weakness, poverty or suffering or want to better understand and be there for people who are dealing with these things.

I received this book from Baker Books.  I was not compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own.

           The Author

  1. Alia Joy

    Alia Joy

    Alia Joy is a speaker, writer, and ragamuffin who weaves beauty through even the most broken stories. Her raw vulnerability and unique perspective make her a trusted voice writing about mental and physical illness, abuse, race, body image, poverty, and hope....
    Continue reading about Alia Joy 

No comments:

Post a Comment