Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Out of the Ashes - Out of Africa 1 - by Michele Pollock Dalton

40666937. sy475

About the book:

John Brandt is a man on the edge of professional burnout and personal self-destruction. Can the sweet innocence of the new neighbor help Johnny find the peace he has been seeking so desperately?

Fragile Catherine Kavanagh is grieving and alone with nothing but faith and determination to sustain her. Will the boyish charm of the neighborhood Cassanova be able to break through the fear and heartache that clouds Catherine’s future?


My review:

I'm not really sure what to think of this book.  On the one hand, the spiritual aspect was great, with the gospel clearly presented and John's struggle to believe shown and a cool supernatural scene.  On the other hand, there were some sensual things that seemed to go a bit too far or were a little too detailed.  They also slept in the same bed and even though nothing happened, why put yourself in that situation?  I was disappointed in Catherine for going along with some of this as she seemed to be a strong Christian.  Otherwise, I really liked her and admired her selflessness and how much she cared for people.  I felt like the story was a bit slow and I couldn't figure out if I liked John or not.  There was some language.  I also didn't realize we would be left not knowing how their story ended.  The narrator did a good job on the audio I listened to.  I can't recommend this book because of the multiple issues I named.

I reviewed an Audible copy of this audiobook free from StoryOrigin.  I was not compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment