Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Begotten - The Gifted 1 - by Lisa T. Bergren

 


About the book:

At the height of the Inquisition, a secret half a millennium old is about to be exposed-a lost letter said to have been written by Paul and part of what was to become the foundation of the Christian canon. It speaks of men and women-the Gifted-with mysterious spiritual gifts that struck fear in the heart of the Church. Now the letter has surfaced. The Gifted ones are coming together. Their prophecy is coming true.

My review:

This was an interesting story, suspenseful with both physical action and spiritual warfare.  Those parts I really liked, along with the hint of romance.  I also liked learning about the time period and some of the customs but I don't really like church politics and there was some of that in the story.  I was frustrated about some of the customs of the church, such as only reading the Bible in church and only in Latin, which most people couldn't even understand.  I also got frustrated with Daria as she kept going her own way and making bad decisions, even after just agreeing that she had just done that!  Sometimes she seemed incredibly naive, even knowing that she was in danger.  I liked Gianni a lot, as he was a knight and sworn to protect her so was brave but also a man of great faith and Father Piero was also incredibly wise so a good leader.  There was a lot of talk of faith as the group tried to understand Christ better and gain strength from him and trust him more so they would be prepared for the battle ahead.  They read Scripture and prayed.  This story was rewritten and republished and there are two more books so their story continues.  Overall this felt a little slow to me but if you like books about spiritual warfare and historical fiction, you might want to check it out.

I received a kindle copy of this book free from JustRead Tours.  I was not compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment