Sunday, November 17, 2019

The Red Journal - The Mosaic Collection - by Deb Elkink

47952380. sy475

About the book:

Flirty globetrotter Sybil badgers her friend Libby to travel along in seeking out the world’s “sacred places”—a monastery in Japan, a mountaintop in Africa, a mosque in Istanbul. Her footloose wandering far from family values costs her more than money.

But Libby can’t afford to travel, and she’s plagued by a different kind of restlessness. Grieving the recent death of the grandmother who raised her in their inner-city Minneapolis tenement now slated for demolition, Libby faces homelessness in both heart and habitation.

When Libby discovers a cryptic message from beyond the grave and an antique ring pointing to a mystery in an inner room of a mansion museum in North Dakota, she sets out on a quest of her own for the meaning of heritage and home.


My review:

I actually had a really hard time getting through this book.  Sybil drove me nuts as she only cared about herself and when the story was told from her perspective it had so much detail about new age practices and her reminisces about guys she'd hooked up with that I ended up skimming her parts after I was halfway through the book.  There were hints that she wondered if there was a different way to live but she quickly squelched those.  I liked Paige more as she was a pregnant grad student trying to finish her thesis before her baby was born.  She worked at the museum and her thesis focused on the builder of it but her sections also had so much detail about the history that I got a little tired of it.  I liked Libby a lot and felt for her trying to find her place in the world after her grandma died.  She wanted to make a forever home somewhere but worked for a horrible boss and lived in a bad part of town and I wondered if she would ever see her dream realized.  The story felt slow as she finally discovered the message and ring quite a ways into the book.  Her grandma seemed to have faith in God based on some of the things she said but it seemed like she never explained to Libby what that meant so she was wandering around in the dark.  She would have these strange memories or dreams and I was curious to see what that was about.  I'm glad everything is explained at the end.  There's at least one true story told in the book about the "Black-Bearded Barbarian" which was interesting.  I googled it and found out he was a real person.  The story deals with forgiveness and discovering the truth.  This might appeal to someone from a new age background or who likes less religious content in the stories they read. 

I received an ebook from JustRead Tours.  I was not compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment