Friday, January 24, 2020

Very Enjoyable! 'Above the Fold' - by Rachel Scott McDaniel

48462045. sy475

About the book:

After losing the love of her life to a big city journalism job, Elissa Tillman pours herself into the suffragette movement and her secretarial work helping keep her father’s Pittsburgh newspaper afloat.

Cole Parker returns to the steel city with the phantom failures of his past nipping his heels. All he asks of the future is a second chance with the woman he once spurned.

The murder of a millionaire offers the perfect chance for Elissa to prove to her father and the world that she’s a serious journalist. But there’s a catch—she has to compete for the story. Against none other than Cole Parker, the very man who shattered her heart.


My review:

I really enjoyed this historical mystery set in the 1920s!  I loved the time period and learning more about the suffragette movement and Prohibition.   Elissa was a wonderful character, tough to try to make it in a man's world of journalism and fighting for equality for women, yet trying so hard to be perfect because of past bullying she'd dealt with and because of Cole's rejection that she'd almost made herself into a different person.  She kept feeling like she wasn't enough, which is something I think so many women struggle with, myself included.  I liked seeing her come to terms with that and find her true worth in God.  She was rejected by Cole before and didn't want to put herself in that position again, which was very understandable.  She really struggled with that throughout the book.  She cared a lot about people and getting to the truth.  I loved that she loved books, especially Jane Austen!  I liked learning about Cole's redemption as he had made it big in New York but then crashed and burned.  He had then turned to God and was depending on Him and His grace to make it through his struggles.  The mystery was interesting and there were some exciting action scenes!  I liked the hints of humor and there were some great romantic moments.  I highly recommend this intriguing story!

I received an ebook from JustRead Tours.  I was not compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment